Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ginger Peach Breakfast Cake

(Now here's the thing: Mr. HB Baker didn't even want to write out this recipe for me, because he believed the product to be a failure. "Too grainy," said he. "I liked last week's version better." Big Lad, age 10, agreed. However! Little Lad, age 3, and I LOVED today's version. Last week's? "Too goopy," said I. "And too peachy." So...give this a whirl and see what you think. And if you, like the HBB, find it lacking, he suggests omitting the rice flour, using buttery spread instead of oil, and throwing in more peaches. And we agree that fresh ginger could be an exhilarating substitution for the powdered stuff!)

2 cups old-fashioned oats, ground fine in coffee grinder
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup tapioca flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons ginger

Mix all dry ingredients together. Add 2 medium carrots, grated fine. Mix to distribute carrot throughout.

Peel 2 ripe peaches; mash with a fork. Add peaches, 1/2 cup canola or olive oil and 1/2 cup milk (soy, rice, etc.) to dry ingredients. Mix.

Pour into greased 9x9-inch pan and bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your blog with me! Definitely lots of inspiration. I am going to add it to my blogroll for future reference. I love that the recipes are kid tested!

- Leilani from the Waldorf group