Sunday, August 31, 2008

Pesto With A Twist

(For this vegan pesto, the Happy Belly Baker had the brilliant idea to use nut butters to make up for the missing parmesan cheese. I loved it so much that I demanded a recipe, pronto. HBB regrets that because he wasn't expecting this one to end up on the blog, he wasn't too precise with his measurements. He wishes you luck.)

Bunch of fresh basil (as much as your hands can hold)
Small package of fresh spinach (ours was 4 ounces)
1/2 cup pine nuts
4 cloves of garlic
olive oil (HBB says 3 glubs, as in glub glub glub from the bottle)

Blend all ingredients in a food processor. Add the following:

2 tablespoons almond butter
2 tablespoons macadamia butter

Blend and enjoy on rice pasta!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Oh, my gosh! That looks so delicious! Now I'm STARVING even though I didn't think it was possible for me to be hungry ever again!! Maybe we should have come over after all…

Lynn said...

It's not too late! I mean, it IS too late tonight, but it's not too late in this "grocery cycle" to come over for pesto. Wednesday???

dottyspots said...

Hi Lynn,

Thank you for posting this up on the Waldorfschoolonline list. I was vegan for years, but stopped partly because of avoiding wheat (although soya is also an issue for me) and I struggled to find any support from the Vegan Soc. here in the UK.

Sabrina said...

I love vegan pesto! I've always made mine with white miso, but I'll have to give the nut-butter variation a try. I can understand the lack of precise measurements...I hardly ever measure- even when "following" recipes.